Thankful Day 7 (11/7) – “The Little Mermaid Live”
The Little Mermaid Live
[Spoilers may be ahead. Plus, Full Disclosure I totally watched this a day later and after having read the reviews (well, a review, but you get the point).
Thankful for “The Little Mermaid Live”
100% HERE for The Little Mermaid Live. A former theater kid who plays in live events for a living – I’ve been hyper sensitive and excessively critical of the recent trend of LIVE theater productions. “Grease Live” — well done, way to go off the cliff and learn how to float! “Rent Live” — unfortunate injury aside, my issues are less with the production and more with Millenials interpreting Jonathan Larson (but I didn’t entirely hate it – not listening to the soundtrack in the car, but I think I understand how it ended up where it did). “The Wiz” and “Peter Pan” – we are just going to say… not my favorite musicals to start with… entirely an uphill climb for both. “The Sound of Music” – Love Carrie. Love, LOVE SOM… but let’s be real… Julie Andrews is still alive and if I’m going to see SOM on TV… I want it to be the 1965 film version.
But back to “The Little Mermaid Live”
*. Auliʻi Cravalho should be cast in SO much more. I really do want to see more of her… and I’m still mad that “Rise” got cancelled.
- Claws – how did everyone in the audience have claws for the lunch scene and Shaggy as “Sebastian” not have any? (Mel B + I have seen Shaggy in concert, I feel like he could handle the claws. #justsayin)
- John Stamos – I’m not actually sure you went away… but WELCOME the eff BACK
- Queen Latifah — I continue to bow down to you. Totally a #poorunfortunatesoul
Personally, I think this format is my favorite for three reasons…
- There were animatronic frogs (If you know me, you know)
- Such an entertaining production challenge —- and so many of my peeps in the credits (Kudos)
- Skip the fluff… focus on the big fan-favorite numbers, immerse the audience —- yeah, fuck yeah. IN for that.
Yeah, it’s a live production, there is always something to pick apart – if there wasn’t what would those of us that play in this world do for a living? That’s part of the fun… the little things that only those people ‘in the know’ KNOW.